Saturday, February 16, 2008

Too much time with my own thoughts

So, here I am, weeks late as usual, with an update. On the other hand, I think this is the most in-touch I've ever been with the virtual world and my filmular dealings.

First things first:

The shoot went exceptionally well. We, somehow, actually shot ahead of schedule, and my cast and crew were fantastic, which made it a great couple of days. We laughed, we cried, we bled like crazy. The best part is, all the shots were in the can and we were out of the building by 2PM on Sunday (Feb 3rd). Although, the only snag was when the building manager came by as we were cleaning up, and saw all the fake blood... pretty much all over the building. He initially went on a ramble about dogs (seriously) and the blood, but I assured him all would go well, and he agreed and took off. Thank god I got that location release signed, cause I knew that with that, he couldn't say shit. Not that he was a prick or anything, but when you know everything they say will, at best, be an empty threat, you tend not to listen.

Since then, I've basically been working on editing. I've got in touch with my composer repeatedly, but just today I finally put everything in place on my timeline, and I'm in picture lock (For those of you that aren't familiar with the term, it's when you're finished editing the timeline - but Wikipedia says it best). That's a huge step, cause now I can hand off the full film, minus the image effects and audio mixing, to my composer and he can start his magic. I'm excited; the composer I'm working with has some serious talent, so I'm eager to see what he puts together.

I've still got a ton of work to do, like learn how to use photoshop to edit some of the images, not to mention all the audio mixing, which looks like it'll be a total pain in the ass to do. I've done it before, but I hate it. I can see why they sub-contract that shit out. I've also got After Effects sitting around, and that'll be my next project to figure out.

But all in all, the images look exceptionally badass; I'm really glad I chose the widescreen option + cinema mode on the camera I shot it on. It's got this super-widescreen look now, which gives a pretty solid professional vibe. No more of this 4:3 ratio bullshit, I'm moving up!

As for festivals, I'm aiming for a March 14/15 festival in London, ON. We'll see how it goes, but I'm optimistic of my chances. If you've got the time, and/or are local, come by and check it out at Rainbow Cinemas in Downtown London.

Anyway, I promised (maybe...) some images, so here's a few sneak previews of some stills. My photographer was exceptionally good - his work is nothing short of phenomenal, and I encourage you to check it out.


That's all for now; I'll post more soon (this is all there is for now).

-Mark

No comments: